New York Drunk Driving–What Is A Conditional License?

After a conviction or plea to a New York drunk driving offense, such as driving while intoxicated, driving while ability impaired, or aggravated DWI, one of the biggest concerns that clients have is the ability to maintain their driving privileges. In many cases, clients will be able to drive under certain circumstances after their drunk driving conviction. This limited license is known as a conditional license.

A conditional license allows you to drive to and from work, to and from school, to and from necessary medical treatment, and to and from treatment or programs that are required as part of your sentence with the Court, such as attending a MADD Victim’s impact panel or the drinking driver program. To get a conditional license, you must enroll in and complete the DDP (drinking driver program) a seven week class sponsored by the Department of Motor Vehicles (NYSDMV). If you have taken the DDP within the last five years, you are not eligible to attend the DDP and will not be able to obtain your conditional license.

It generally takes approximately 20 days from the sentence date in your criminal case until you can enroll in the DDP, due to the delay between the local Court forwarding your paperwork to the DMV to establish your eligibility for the DDP. For this reason, as long as you have not refused a breath test, the local judge at your attorney’s request will issue what is known as a “Twenty Day Stay” of the enforcement of your license revocation, and you will then be eligible to begin driving while awaiting your entry into the DDP and receipt of your conditional license. However, if you have refused a breath test, you are not eligible to get a 20 day stay and will have to wait to drive until you enter the DDP.

If you are charged with New York driving while intoxicated, Aggravated DWI, a drug charge or any other criminal offense, contact the Westchester County criminal defense lawyers online or toll free at (914) 428-7386 for a free consultation with an experienced lawyer to discuss your legal rights and options.

Posted in:

Comments are closed.